As my server was hitting its capacity limits, it was time to rethink the whole webstack and do some improvements. And that’s exactly where I ditched gzip in favor of Brotli.
Considering that it’s supported by the major browsers, I checked my Matomo analysis to see if I would run into any problems. As I had almost no visitors running old versions of IE, I decided to switch. All I had to do was exchanging the gzip params with the ones of Brotli which are as follows:
All I had to do then was compiling the module and restarting nginx. My tests gave me a saving of 10-20% in terms of page sizes. Now that’s what I call a success.